Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Learning to Knit from a Crocheter's Perspective

Knitting Versus Crochet
In July I began my adventures in learning how to knit - something most of my friends do, but I only know how to crochet. After a year of crocheting I felt like I was ready for a new challenge. There are a few things I have learned about knitting that a crocheter might find interesting so I decided to list them here. Maybe this will give you insight on if knitting is something for you or at least how to prepare yourself for talking with your knitting buddies.
 

So what is really the difference?
When people see me working on a crochet project and say, "Oh, you knit?" I promptly correct them which leads to a bit of confusion. From a crocheting perspective the best way I explain crochet versus knitting is knitting is with two needles and you "cast on" multiple lops or stitches. In crochet you have one hook and your stitches are done one at a time and are not left on the hook (generally speaking). I also like to point out some differences of crochet versus knit like crocheting goes faster making great for things like blankets, but takes more yarn than a knitting project. Knitting takes longer, which makes it great for small pieces, but doesn't use as much yarn which means you can use nicer yarns. Those are probably the big differences. So what advice can I give to crocheters wanted to knit?

Get Bamboo Needles
In crochet they type of hook doesn't really matter as most are metal or plastic. So when I would talk with my knitting buddies they were horrified that I was using metal hooks ... but crocheters think you're nuts for splurging on wooden ones. Here's why bamboo needles matter: The bamboo creates a little bit of friction which allows you to keep your stitches on your needle. Apparently, I don't know because I didn't buy them, the metal ones are too slippery and your stitches tend to slip off.

Nicer Yarn?
Like I said above, knitters love their nicer yarn and I can see why - you use less yarn. I have used "nicer" yarn (part wool, part acrylic) and it can still be pricey for a crochet project. So should you go out get a nice wool yarn for your first knitting project - NO! As with starting any project just get a cheap and simple yarn. I always have some Red Heart Supersaver in my stash so that's what I used to get started.

Casting On
Casting on is the equivalent of making a foundation chain in crocheting and is super easy because you only use one needle - almost like crocheting which is why I rock at it. It's a good confidence builder! My biggest advice is you do not need to cast on as many stitches in knitting as you would in crocheting a foundation chain. And of course keeping your stitches on the looser side makes it easer when you do the next row - good advice for both crochet and knit.

Tutorial that Rocks
I found this youtube tutorial that is how to knit (cast on, knit stitch, and bind off) from a crocheter! And she's really adorable! I also like this video because she shows you what to do if you dropped a stitch - which almost makes you want to give up when it happens to you. I recommend searching around the internet and using a few different videos to get different perspectives on how to knit.

Binding Off
The last step of learning how to knit was the binding off process. This carefully takes the loops of your needle one at a time. It was really pretty easy, but this isn't a process that needs to be done in crochet so yet another means for comparison.
My first knitting "project"!
I just finished my first "project" which was a coaster. It was fairly easy and I'm looking forward to learning a the purl stitch. Here is what I ended up with. Not too bad, but I'm learning!

Other Differences
The last biggest difference between crochet and knitting that I have observed is that crochet can make lots of different things whereas I feel knitting is a little more limited. I think this is due to the fact that crochet has multiple kinds of stitches, but at the same time I think knit can make better cold weather clothes like sweaters. There are also WAY more different types of knitting needles than there are crochet hooks. Both needle crafts have their merits and I am probably a little biased, but this my blog gosh darn it! :-)

As of now those are my insights to knitting from a crochet perspective. I think the biggest thing to remember is that you will NOT be good the first few times you do something - it's like learning how to do anything. You will make mistakes, it won't look at that pretty, but you have to stick with it. Lord knows I have set down a few projects because I got fed up with them and that's ok. Every project is a learning process and I can already see all the new things I will be learning with knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment